The Pentagon’s inspector general has evidence that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pulled information on a plan to bomb Yemen from a document that was classified at the time, CNN and The Washington Post reported Wednesday, directly contradicting claims from the Trump administration.

President Donald Trump has defended Hegseth, accepting his claim that the precise details of the military mission shared in the chat were not actually classified.

However, the details reportedly came from a secure email marked “SECRET/NOFORN,” meaning that foreign nationals should not see its contents. It had been sent by Gen. Michael “Erik” Kurilla, who oversees U.S. military operations in the Middle East, the Post reported.

The Signal group chat that Goldberg was part of included Vice President JD Vance, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

Hegseth also reportedly shared similar details about the Yemen campaign in a second group chat that included his wife.

The Pentagon announced in April that it was opening an investigation into Hegseth’s use of Signal.

Asked for comment, chief Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell responded with snark.

20 Years OfFreeJournalism

Your Support Fuels Our Mission

Your Support Fuels Our Mission

For two decades, HuffPost has been fearless, unflinching, and relentless in pursuit of the truth. Support our mission to keep us around for the next 20 — we can’t do this without you.

We remain committed to providing you with the unflinching, fact-based journalism everyone deserves.

Thank you again for your support along the way. We’re truly grateful for readers like you! Your initial support helped get us here and bolstered our newsroom, which kept us strong during uncertain times. Now as we continue, we need your help more than ever. We hope you will join us once again.

We remain committed to providing you with the unflinching, fact-based journalism everyone deserves.

Thank you again for your support along the way. We’re truly grateful for readers like you! Your initial support helped get us here and bolstered our newsroom, which kept us strong during uncertain times. Now as we continue, we need your help more than ever. We hope you will join us once again.

Support HuffPost

“This Signal narrative is so old and worn out, it’s starting to resemble Joe Biden’s mental state,” Parnell said in an emailed statement to HuffPost.

He said the Department of Defense stands behind what it has said — “no classified information was shared via Signal.”

“As we’ve said repeatedly, nobody was texting war plans and the success of the Department’s recent operations — from Operation Rough Rider to Operation Midnight Hammer — are proof that our operational security and discipline are top notch,” Parnell concluded, naming the Yemen operation and a separate attack on Iran.

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Driving Saudi Arabia’s Tech Evolution: Open Source Summit 2024

The “Open Source Summit 2024” is an annual conference organized by the…

American Judith Weinstein Believed To Be Killed During Hamas Attack

An elderly American teacher originally thought to have been captured alive by…

Israel Reaches Deal With Hamas On Release Of Some Hostages, Temporary Cease-Fire

Israel and Hamas reached an agreement enabling the release of some hostages…

Temporary Cease-Fire In Gaza And Hostage Release To Start Friday, Qatar Says

DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — A four-day cease-fire in Gaza between…